stars

Welcome my dear friends. Enjoy your visit and share your thoughts. Thank you, much love

Saturday 9 May 2015

My Friend Ella

My Friend Ella

Hi, dear friends and followers. I am pleased to see you here today. I have a wonderful pleasant little story for you about a garden fairy

By Charlotte Brooks

Sssh…May I tell you a secret?

I have a friend; her name is Ella.

She is a fairy who lives at the bottom of our garden.

Do you believe in fairies?

I was ten years old when I came across Ella. Thinking back now, I believe she probably lived in our garden for a very long time before I met her. You see, when I think about it, there was a lot of evidence to prove her existence there, way before I even met her.

I would find flowers with brightly coloured sparkles on them.

There once was a little fairy house in the garden too.

My mother would take me on fairy adventures with my elder brother, to instill some magic into our childhood. She would take us into the woods behind our house and discreetly drop glitter on trees and paths. We had some magical adventures with her.

When I turned ten, my brother was convinced that maybe it was our mother who was responsible for the fairy evidence. I was a little sad but grateful, too. How many children that you know of ever had this type of adventures? I held onto a glimmer of hope that maybe fairies did exist somewhere.

One day I was playing in the garden when I heard a tinkling on the wind. I thought it may have been a friend’s garden toy, but I listened again, this time more closely. I could hear a faint whispering; someone was calling my name.

“Isobel”.

I didn’t meet Ella that day.

It wasn’t until a couple of months later, during midsummer. I thought back to the books my mother had read to me, telling me the best times and places to meet fairies. Of course, I never met one. My brother would say that the fairy was our mother.

But one evening, just as it was starting to get dark, I was about to be proven wrong.

Again there was a faint whispering on the wind. “Isobel”.

I walked to the bottom of our garden and I crouched down by the fence. To my amazement, there was Ella!

She was a beautiful little fairy with sparkling wings. Her hair was long and as fair as freshly fallen snow. Her eyes were a piercing blue. She was wearing a pretty little turquoise dress with sparkles glitter all over it.

“Hello Isobel," she said plainly, "I`m Ella, your garden fairy.”

I'm sure that I looked extremely surprised to see her, for she giggled in excitement.

“I have come to see you because you have never lost your belief in fairies; for only those who truly believe in us will ever get to see our magic”.

I smiled in amazement. All those times my lovely mother had set out adventures for us, my elder brother stopped believing very quickly, but I held onto hope that someday, somewhere, I would get to meet a fairy!

“Can I go and find my brother? He needs to see you! He doesn’t believe in you!” I exclaimed.

“I am afraid not, dear Isobel, for only those who truly believe can see us,” Ella replied.

I was saddened by this, but excited, too, for I now had a little friend of my own to play with.

With that, my mother called out to me to come in.

“Don’t worry, lovely Isobel, I will still be here tomorrow. I am your fairy friend, here to stay”.

The next day, after school, I ran straight to the garden and, sure enough, there was Ella waiting for me. We talked for what seemed like hours. She told me all about where she came from and what it was like to live in fairyland.

“Perhaps you would like to come to fairyland one day?” Ella asked.

“Oh yes, please, I would like that so very much!” I replied.

We would play with each other every day. She would tell me so many stories about the fairies she lived with, and how they all had important jobs to do during the year. The autumn fairies would gather all of the berries ready for the harvest festival. The winter fairies would help the frost fairies to decorate the lands and even bring snow! The spring fairies would sprinkle their fairy dust to help to bring the new flowers into bloom. And it was the summer fairies who were responsible for delivering the longer days and shorter nights. Midsummer was the highlight of the fairy calendar, for every midsummer's day there would be a gigantic fairy festival that would go on into the night, with dancing, singing and general merriment.

Oh, how I longed to visit fairyland!

Then one day Ella invited me along. “It’s time for you to come and meet my fairy friends. would you like to come with me to fairyland?” she asked.
I was so excited!

“I will be back for you when the moon is out. I can take you only when there is a full moon, and there is one tonight. I will knock three times on your bedroom window. When you hear me, come to the back door, whilst everyone else is sleeping,” were Ella’s instructions.

I could hardly sleep that night. I listened intently for the knocks on my window. When the darkness had fallen and the moon was out, there came three gentle knocks on my window. I tiptoed down the creaky stairs and headed for the back door.

When I stepped outside under a beautiful moonlit sky, Ella was waiting for me by the fence that went out onto the woodland.

“Are you ready?” she asked.

“I am ready!” I squealed.

She took my hand and sprinkled some fairy dust over me. Before I knew it, we were flying high above the trees, using the beams of the moon to guide us. As I looked down I could see deer creeping through the woods and foxes rustling in the leaves.

As we flew over the hills, I could see bright lights beneath us. As we descended towards the ground I could hear singing and laughter.

“Isobel, welcome to fairyland!” Ella shouted excitedly.

I could not believe my eyes! What a beautiful place! Lush green fields where unicorns grazed; rainbows with pots of gold at their ends; dewdrops on the trees that the fairies collected to take back to their young families, they were all there.

“It really is magical!” I declared.

“Well, of course, this is fairyland, after all,” Ella replied.

We seemed to spend hours playing in the waterfalls with the water sprites. We helped to collect berries and flowers for the fairy queen, and I even got to touch a unicorn. Ella took me to show me where her fairy friends lived in the trees, with little doors for them to fly in and out of. She showed me where the fairies send their letters from. I didn’t want to ever go home.

“Can I stay, please?” I asked gingerly.

“I am afraid not”, she said quietly. “Only fairies can live here, but we love having visitors and you can come any time you want to.” she said with a smile.

It was time to go home. We said goodbye to her fellow fairy friends as I was showered with fairy dust once more. We soared high in the sky once more under the crystal clear moonlight. It felt like we had been gone for hours but when we returned and I climbed back into bed I could see that the time on the clock had not even changed. I dreamed all night of our adventures in fairyland.

Our adventures did not end there. I visited many times with Ella through my teenage years; we had become best friends and I could not imagine my life without her.

On my sixteenth birthday I saw Ella for the very last time.

I went to the bottom of our garden as I always did, but this time she seemed sad.

“Isobel, I am sorry, my dear friend, but it is time for you to grow your own fairy wings for I must leave you this special day”.

I could feel the tears gathering in my eyes.

“But why must you leave me today? You are my best friend and you cannot go” I cried.

“You are older now, dear Isobel, and my guidance is needed elsewhere,” came her tender reply.

“ There is a little girl not far from here who is herself questioning her belief in we fairies, just as you did all those years ago. My job then was to come and show you that to see magic, you have to believe. I came to you when you needed me and spread some magic. Now it is time for someone else to have that sprinkling of fairy dust. “

Tears were rolling down my cheek; I knew I had to let her go but I was about to lose my best friend.

She held out her hand and gave me a little bottle of my own fairy dust.

“For when times are tough and you need a little bit of love and reassurance,” she whispered.

With that she flew off, high above me, and all that was left was little me and a tiny bottle of fairy dust.

Years passed, and I often thought of dear Ella. I wondered whether she was still with the little girl she left me for or had she moved on.

I married my sweetheart and went on to have two children of my own, a little boy and a little girl. For some time, we had our own fairy adventures, searching for them wherever we went, in forests, by streams, even under a moonlit sky.

Then my children became of an age in which my son, the elder of my children, no longer believed in fairies and my little girl was not sure anymore.

“They aren’t real, you know,” he would taunt her.

“Yes, they are; tell him mummy,” would come her reply.

Then one day during midsummer, when my little girl was ten, she came running into me after playing in our garden.

“Mummy! Mummy! I have just met a fairy!” she squealed.

I looked at her and smiled. “Well I am sure you will become the best of friends, my darling,” I replied.

I thought back to my fairy friend, the adventures we had, and the friendship that developed. I hoped that my darling little girl could have the same adventures.

“Does your friend have a name?” I asked with anticipation.

“Of course, mummy. Her name is Ella”.

Thank you very much again, dear friends, for visiting my blog. Please share your thoughts with us, if you will. Have a great day.

ڰۣIn Loving Light from the Fairy Ladyڰۣ

No comments :

Post a Comment

AYÚDEME PROSPERAR, IGUAL QUE TÚ

AYÚDEME PROSPERAR, IGUAL QUE TÚ
HELP ME PROSPER, JUST LIKE YOU